All About Permanent Residents: Permanent Resident Travel Document, Permanent Resident Card and Travel Journal

All About Permanent Residents: Permanent Resident Travel Document, Permanent Resident Card and Travel Journal

Canada’s entry requirements have changed. Permanent residents of Canada (PR) MUST carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. Travelling without the required PR card OR PRTD may prevent you from boarding your plane, train, bus or boat to Canada.
A friend of mine booked his flight to the Philippines and weeks before his scheduled departure lost his PR Card. So, we prepared both his application for a permanent resident travel document and application for a permanent resident card. His friends were worried that he might not allowed entry to Canada. Thus, I explained to him the existence of a permanent resident travel document. He entered Canada using his PRTD with no problem. A travel document or PRTD is normally only valid for one single entry. However, you should apply for a new PR card as soon as you resume residence in Canada.

To be eligible to apply for PRTD you must:
– be a permanent resident of Canada;
– not have a valid PR card showing your PR status;
– be outside of Canada; and
– will be returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

If you are a new immigrant to Canada, you don’t need to apply for a permanent resident (PR) card. Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will mail your PR card to you when you get to Canada.

You should apply for a PR card if:
– you plan to travel outside the country and will return to Canada on a commercial vehicle like an airplane, a bus, a train, or a boat;
– you did not get your PR card after giving your Canadian mailing address and it has been more than 180 days since you provided your address;
– you need evidence of your PR status;
– your card was lost, stolen or destroyed and you want a new one;
– your PR card expires in less than nine months; or
– you have legally changed your name and need to update the name on your PR card.

Your PR Card needs to be valid when you show it. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You are still a permanent resident if your card expires.

As a permanent resident, it’s always a good idea to write down your trips outside Canada by air, land or boat, including day trips to the United States. You’ll need this information when you apply for a new Permanent Resident card and when you apply for Canadian citizenship.
Have you heard of a travel journal? Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently introduced a travel journal. It is an easy way to record trips outside Canada. You may keep it with your passport or other travel documents. Note however, that this is not an official document and IRCC does not need to see it. It’s just a good document to have to help you remember your trips. There is NO need to include the travel journal in your application. You can download the travel journal from IRCC’s website.

For your reference,here is the information that you need to record:
– The date you left and the date you came back to Canada, even if it’s the same day
– Countries you visited
– Why you left. Give examples such as vacation, work, family, etc.
– Include any day trips (less than 24 hours), including those to the United States
– When the journal is full, keep it safe and print a new copy

Example of how to fill out the travel journal

If you have questions regarding the above article you may contact Marjorie at
Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.