The Immigration Guy - Q&A with an Immigration Professional

The Immigration Guy - Q&A with an Immigration Professional

**All names and details have been changed to protect identity*

Support for Ukrainians – how is immigration helping?
Andrew in Calgary, AB:
I read your article every month and am curious if you could talk about what the Canadian government is doing to help Ukrainians come to Canada?
Answer: Good question Andrew and good timing! There are a few programs that have been announced over the last month by the Canadian government to support Ukrainians and others affected by the war in Ukraine.

Firstly, for Ukrainian foreign nationals who want to come to Canada, the Canadian government has created the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) program that will allow Ukrainian nationals and their direct families to apply for a special travel authorization to come to Canada as a temporary resident. This program will issue visas for temporary stay for up to 10 years and will be fee exempt. The applicant can also apply for a work permit at the same time so they can be authorized to work while in Canada. In addition, if you are a Ukrainian national already inside Canada, you can extend your stay for up to 3 years and you will be eligible for fee exemption. Secondly, if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to sponsor Ukrainian family members for permanent residence in Canada. Immigration will access those applications for priority processing if the family member is a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or a dependent child (including adopted children). Of course, the third option for any Ukrainian who lands in Canada is to apply to be recognized as a refugee and seek protection within Canada for themselves and their accompanying family members. The situation in Ukraine is changing daily and new measures are likely to be announced. Feel free to contact us directly if you would like more information!

Immigration barriers to finding a job!
Question from Alfonso from Edmonton, Alberta:
My restricted work permit expired last month and I had to stop working. I know I am within the 90-day restoration window to restore my status, but I do not have another employer! I applied for permanent residence, but I fear I can not get my bridging open work permit because of my status issues. I do not have a job offer to restore my work permit. Is there any way you can help?
Answer: Hi Alfonso, you are not alone, as this is a very common issue. So common in fact that the Canadian government has introduced special changes to make bridging open work permits more accessible for permanent residence applicants. Starting from last fall, you can now restore to a bridging open work permit, provided you are within the regulated 90-day window to restore your status. There are also some other important changes that people may not be aware of. You no longer have to wait until you are within 4 months of the expiry of your current work permit (if you have one) and you can apply for a bridging open work permit if you have successfully obtained a provincial nomination, you are an Agri-Food Pilot Program applicant, or a Quebec Skilled Worker Program applicant (provided you have submitted a full application). You have hope! The light is shining ahead of you! You can restore your status to a bridging open work permit that will allow you to work for any employer as long as you keep to the conditions listed on the permit.

Rest easy knowing Freedom Migrate offers full representation for the entire process. We help you build your case and prepare you for the permanent resident application to follow. Our prices are very reasonable, and we work hard to build a competitive application for you!

Have a question? Send us your submission to or call our office at 403-520-2277 or text 587-938-3100 from anywhere in Alberta!

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.