24″And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.”
Galatians 5:24-26, KJV
THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE FLESH AND THE SPIRIT.
How the works of the flesh:
1. Oppose the Spirit – Galatians 5:16-17.
2. Prevents one from inheriting the kingdom – Galatians 5:19-21.
How walking in the Spirit:
1. Helps one to not fulfill the lust of the flesh – Galatians 5:16.
2. Produces the fruit of the Spirit in one’s life – Galatians 5:22-23.
3. Frees one from the condemnation of any law – Galatians 5:18, 23c.
In summarizing his discourse on the flesh and the Spirit, the apostle Paul reminds us of what is true of those who belong to Christ…
1. They have crucified the flesh with its passion and desires – Galatians 5:24.
2. They live in the Spirit – Galatians 5:25a.
3. They should therefore walk in the Spirit, not in conceit, provoking, and envying one another – Galatians 5:25b-26.
This passage, Galatians 5:24-26, alludes to much that is revealed elsewhere as to what it means to be a Christian, a disciple of Christ. For example, those who truly belong to Christ are those who…
I. HAVE CRUCIFIED THE FLESH
1. When we died with Christ in baptism – Romans 6:3-6.
2. So that now Christ lives in us, and we live by faith – Galatians 2:20.
1. As we seek to put off the old man, and put on the new – Colossians 3:5-14.
2. As we were taught by Christ – Ephesians 4:20-24. The question is, Are we crucifying the flesh in ‘practice by living a holy life?
Crucifying the flesh in both principle and practice cannot be done without divine help. And so those who truly belong to Christ are those blessed to…
II. LIVE IN THE SPIRIT
In the beginning:
1. It is the Spirit who gives life – John 6:63; 2 Corinthians 3:6.
2. Which He does in the washing of regeneration (i.e., baptism) – Titus 3:5.
3. So that we are truly born again of both water and the Spirit – John 3:5.
4. Have you been made alive in the Spirit through baptism?
In the present:
1. By virtue of His indwelling – Romans 8:11; cf. 1 Corinthians 6:19.
2. Who empowers us to put to death the deeds of the body – Romans 8:12-13; cf. Ephesians 3:16.
3. Are you living in the Spirit by utilizing His strength?
Because we live in the Spirit, there is great potential for spiritual growth. But that growth is not automatic. We can be guilty of grieving the Spirit, cf. Ephesians 4:30. Thus, those who belong to Christ…
III. SHOULD WALK IN THE SPIRIT
1. Manifested by selfish ambitions, contrary to the mind of Christ, cf. Philippians 2:3-5.
2. Manifesting instead lowliness of mind that leads to gentleness (meekness), cf. Galatians 5:23. Are you walking in the Spirit? Then free yourself from conceit.
1. Manifested by conduct such as immorality or outbursts of wrath, cf. Galatians 5:19-20.
2. Manifesting instead joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness – Galatians 5:22-23.
3. Are you walking in the Spirit free from provoking others?
1. Manifested by hatred, jealousies, cf. Galatians 5:20-21.
2. Manifesting instead love that does not envy and thinks no evil, cf. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a.
3. Are you walking in the Spirit free from envy?
Those who belong to Christ are they who…
1. Crucify the flesh in both principle and practice.
2. Live in the Spirit from their baptism to the present.
3. Should walk in the Spirit, producing the fruit of the Spirit.
Do we truly belong to Christ?
1. It begins with baptism into Christ – Galatians 3:27.
2. It continues with a life of faith – Galatians 2:20.
3. It produces a whole new person – Galatians 6:15.
Such is the life that Christ offers: made alive in the Spirit, walking in the Spirit, bearing fruit of the Spirit.. Is this not the life you want? – cf. John 10:10.