Your Guide to Your Professional Engineering Status in Alberta (For International Educated Engineers)

Your Guide to Your Professional Engineering Status in Alberta (For International Educated Engineers)

This is the same article featured a couple of months ago. Due to several emails and queries from “kabayans” on how they will start the licensing process, below are the procedures and specific instructions.

In recent year, the Alberta Filipino Journal, has been very instrumental to bringing my researches towards its voracious readers. On the other hand, my articles could have somehow helped the Filipino engineers to be recornized as “Engineers” here in Canada.

To summarize the entire procedure, the steps below and the chart will simplify all the requirements.
1. Register to APEGA’s Website ( and obtain the APEGA Member Id Number.
2. Have your University or College gained Bachelor Degree and/or Master Degree transcript of Records and Diploma sent directly in sealed envelope to World Education Services (WES). You must obtain the International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) Course-by-Course Evaluation. Take note of the specific instructions given by WES. See their website at
3. Complete your online Work Experience Record (WER). Instructions and online forms are available at the APEGA’s website. If you start applying for Professional Engineer after May 2, 2018 you must use the Competency Based Assessment Tool and to submit two forms to confirm your work experience: THE Work Record Validator List (WRVL) and the Competency-Based Assessment Too (CBAT). A detail explanation of these procedure will be discuss in the next issue of the Alberta Filipino Journal.
4. Submit your Citizenship or Permanent Residency Documents.
5. Submit your English Language Competency Requirement. You can show your skill in English in either two ways: A score of 100 or more on TOEFL Exam or Send APEGA a signed and dated Handwritten Letter showing your English Competency. Instruction is on the APEGA Website.
6. In the online application system of APEGA, complete the Character Declaration Form.
7. After the Board of Examiner (BOE) review, you might be assign to take and pass the Fundamental of Engineering (FE) Exams or one or more Technical Exams.
8. After passing the FE or Technical Exams, take and pass the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE).
9. Gain at least one-year of engineering Canadian Working Experience under the supervision of a Professional Engineer.
10. After completing all the requirements, wait for the BOE final decision for your Professional Engineering Status.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.