JAN THE MAN’S NOTE
By Januel Cedrick Ibasco
Januel Cedrick Ibasco is a proud Filipino-Canadian. A current student at the University of Alberta studying a Bachelor of Arts in Recreation, Sport, and Tourism in the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation. Sportsmanship is the big slice of his cake. Highly-spirited when playing golf, volleyball, and basketball. He loves reading, writing, volunteering at church. Looking forward to take up law after his undergraduate degree.
Spring is finally here, everyone! It is time you put your thick winter jackets, boots, and toques away and get your shorts, windbreakers, and hats ready to put you in the mood for the season of spring! Below are the top five places I suggest that all of you check out this spring. I know there are many other fascinating activities to do in Edmonton, so know these are just suggestions!
- Golf/Driving Range– Playing a round of golf or hitting a bucket of balls is one of my favorite things to do and is something I suggest you all partake in this spring season. Golf is a game for all, and even if you do not know how to play the sport, give it a chance as it may just be the sport for you! A good beginners’ golf course I suggest would be Rundle Park as it is a par 3 course, but other than that I suggest you all check out the Millwoods, and Victoria golf course as they have great driving ranges and practice greens!
- Edmonton River Valley– For those of you looking to enjoy a good old walk around the city and embrace the beauty Edmonton has to offer, I recommend all of you to take a stroll in Edmonton’s River Valley as there are up to 14 off-leash areas where you can bring your pets to play! And for all you bike riders, there are many paths/trails with beautiful sights to see. With many other things to do in the River Valley, one my favourites is spending some quality time with the family at William Hawrelak Park. This is a great place for a picnic with friends and family and playing sports in all the grass areas.
- Whyte Avenue– For those of you who enjoy the nightlife, Whyte Avenue is just for you! There are many unique bars, restaurants, cafés, book stores, and antique shops. What I like about this area is that it is a great place for interaction and is tailored for all you food lovers out there! My personal favorite restaurant on Whyte Ave would be Julios Barrio as they have amazing fish tacos!
- Muttart Conservatory– This place is for those who are interested in seeing flowers and plants in four separate pavilions in different climate zones. Also, there is a coffee shop which is a great place for intimacy as they serve light meals and sweets to lighten up the mood and bring a smile to one’s face.
- West Edmonton Mall– I made sure to add this tomy top 5 as I know there are a few of you who do not like being outside all the time during this fine spring season! WEM is a great place to shop for the things you need and a wonderful place to hangout. It includes one of the world’s most prestigious waterparks, and even has a movie theatre! What more can you ask for?